Friday, May 22, 2009

Of singed pots and laundry rooms

We are trying to get so much done lately. The way normal people do. But we don't usually do that. Normally we sit around and read and wait for things to go wrong, then we act. But last weekend we cleared out the laundry room so the water heater could be moved into the garage. Actually, a new water heater since the old one was throwing yucky white stuff into our hot water lines. Then we decided to reorient the washer and dryer. Then we realized that would leave us with less room than we started out with. So we bought a new stacking washer and dryer. But then we realized that the linoleum was shot. So we bought new flooring. Then we realized there were four different colors of paint on the walls. So we repainted. Now we wait for the washer and dryer to arrive to see what kind of cabinets we can fit into the room. But for the last week our kitchen table has been our storage for the laundry room. And I'm getting kind of tired of it. But until there is somewhere for them to go I guess we are stuck with vases, cleaning supplies and rags decorating the center of the kitchen. And yet, even as I write this, I am seeing all these vases and cleaning supplies tucked neatly into empty boxes and sitting on the garage floor. One obstacle down!

Of course, this all coincided with our discovery that the spa cover was water logged and needed to be replaced. Normally, I am the spa person. I clean and maintain our little bit of heaven on our back deck. But with chemo and all I just don't have the energy to do it and I think I am not supposed to mess with chemicals and cleaners anyway. I didn't think of that until I got splashed with the filter cleaner water. Now after, emptying, cleaning and refilling it, we are trying to raise the temperature of the spa water and get the chemicals balanced. And after all this I still won't be able to go into the hot tub. I thought I remembered something about not going into hot tubs but wasn't sure so I emailed Dr. Liu and she gave an unhesitating NO. So, after all this work, I shall sit next to the tub instead of inside the tub. Sigh. And as I sit next to the spa I see a dripping irrigation line which reminds me that we need to do something about the sad state of our sprinklers. We have had them looked at and repaired any number of times over the last several years and nothing seems to work. I'm at my wits end. And so is a lot of our landscaping.....

And if I don't ruin another saucepan I shall be a happy camper. Chemo brain rules say you can't multitask. Well, yes, I guess so. I forgot all about the prunes I was heating up this morning while I was trying to get the spa clean and balanced. That pot was my favorite small, heavy saucepan. Sigh. Nothing sticks to an allclad shiny surface like burned prunes. Must be all that natural sugar in them. Double sigh. And again, I take a second look. A chop stick rubbed against the blackened remnants of cooked prune seems to chip off the crispy residue and once again I have a lovely pot. Yayyyy! I was so close to tossing that little guy.

Thank you, Rozan, for delicious salads for dinner this week. And we eagerly await shabbos dinner prepared and delivered by the family Zeidman.

We are looking forward to attending the college graduation party of a friend of ours on Sunday. When I first met her she was just a baby. I know it is cliche but I can't believe you are now a college graduate! Congratulations, Sara!

My feet are definitely neuropathed and my fingers too. I hate walking even a few feet now. And walking on my hands is out of the question. Tee hee! It is just so uncomfortable. Oh, well, this too shall pass.

2 comments:

  1. Mardie-It sounds like you've got your own little domestic soap (pun intended) opera going on in laundry land. I must talk to you about washing machines after you have road-tested yours. Ours is reaching old age; I think it's about 150 in dog/cat years. If you need any heavy lifting done, Patrick is home from college; just let me know and I can send him up to help out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, shoosh. No wonder you're tired. But at least you've made me feel better about the state of my "nursery"...

    ReplyDelete