Saturday, May 23, 2009

I hope I don't always sound whiny. I really have many things to be thankful for. Not the least of which is all the good friends and relatives I have come to truly appreciate. I am a very lucky person in that regard, I think. But sometimes I know I complain about this situation I am in and yesterday it occurred to me that there were a couple of things that are not so bad about going through chemotherapy. For one thing, I haven't had to shave my legs in months!!!! Now that is something for which I am very grateful. And I haven't had to pluck those little facial whiskers that women of a certain age have to deal with. Another thing is that this time around with the neupogen, I didn't feel any side effects. I completely forgot about the hip and leg aches until this morning. If I didn't feel them Tuesday or Wednesday, I am pretty sure I'm not going to feel them this time around! And the last thing I can come up with is that I am getting some pretty good quality sleep lately. I am so often falling asleep by 7 p.m., awaking around 10 for a few minutes of reading and then falling asleep again until 5 or 6 a.m. I think I have dreams most of the time which means that this is useful sleep. I'm obviously trying to resolve stuff as I slumber. I don't think I've had any anxiety dreams or nightmares. Just funny, strange dreams that take me here and there, near and far, inside the U.S. and to Europe. This is very cheap travel and I haven't had to use my passport. I also don't get jet lag!
This morning, after a nice oatmeal and prune breakfast with a chaser of vitamins and minerals, I went for a four mile walk with Kara and Morgan. Now normally, a four mile walk takes us about an hour and 20 minutes maximum. Today, with a pregnant woman and a chemo patient it took us about an hour and 45 minutes. But it was a lovely walk. The fog kept shifting above us, not sure if it was coming inland or receding back towards the bay. This kept the air cool but there was also a very cool breeze so we didn't have to start removing layers until the last mile of the journey. And during that last mile we came upon Stan who is in training for the San Diego Marathon which is next Sunday. Have a great run Stan!
After we finished our walk we retired to Broadway Starbucks for coffee and pastries. I know, I'm not supposed to have coffee. However, I am really feeling deprived lately without it so I asked for a 1/2 caf, nonfat, grande latte. All the baristas raised their eyebrows because they know Joanne has got me on tea, whether or not I like it. But the manager defended me and said I should be able to drink what I felt like and the other baristas backed off! To celebrate I also had a scone. There is a saying about a goose and and a gander that would fit here but I can't think how it goes. Maybe that isn't it but I know there is some expression about going whole hog once you have started in a bad direction. Someone will tell what it is, I'm sure.
So, now, it is Saturday afternoon and I am about to start the latest #1 Ladies Detective Agency book. We've been enjoying the HBO series of the same name. I am enthralled by these traditionally built Botswanan ladies! And the author writes so lovingly of Botswana I really wish I could visit there someday. Being able to see it on TV (and it reflects what the author writes) is almost as good as being there. But not quite.

2 comments:

  1. We must go to Botswana. And I hadn't thought about not having to shave or pluck or wax! Yes, a definite good point. Actually you don't really sound whiney. Reporting on the unpleasant stuff is part of your job as a blogger and anyway, you almost always include something positive in your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! A couple of teachers from WCI went there a few years ago and fell in love with Botswana.

    ReplyDelete