Monday, March 30, 2009

My next round of chemo is coming up on Wednesday. I wonder if I will have any hair left by then. I just took a shower and as I washed my hair handfuls of it kept coming out. Yesterday it really started coming out in earnest. So, what does hair falling out feel like, you ask? It feels like your scalp is irritated because you are brushing your hair against the way it naturally falls. You know that feeling. Like when you try to part it where it has never been parted before. That feeling. I went for a walk with a friend and I showed her how it was coming out. I asked her if she had ever wanted to pull someones hair out? And then invited her to try it. We were both laughing. Then she called her two sons who were shooting hoops to join us. They looked a little uncertain but gingerly grabbed a few strands of hair. They looked pretty surprised at how much they pulled out with no effort. I think it is now time to start wearing the wig or the pretty pink bandanna or other scarves I have. There is really very little hair left on my head.
I'm sure I would surprise you all if I told you I love listening to John Madden on KCBS radio. But I do, even if I know virtually nothing about sports. He is a funny guy, pretty humble and if he doesn't know about something, he admits it. John was talking about Tiger Woods today and a golf tournament that Tiger is in. Tiger was down 5 strokes yesterday but I guess he did pretty well and either won the tournament or is still in the running. And the CBS reporter mentioned how happy Tiger looked when he did so well after coming off surgery on his knee. They both agreed that it must have been kind of scary for Tiger to take that year off, not knowing if, when he came back, he would be able to play as well as he used to play. But that smile showed that he knew he was back and he was still good. And it made me think about my running. I'm no Jimmy Muindi or Jeff Galloway but running is important to me. And I have been worrying about what I will be able to do once all this treatment is over with. But if Tiger can come back, so can I. I just need to focus on one goal at a time. And so I will.

1 comment:

  1. Of course you'll be able to run again. We'll be re-entering running at about the same time, right? We can be turtles or penguins or whatever together. (and your last post? definitely a girl scout song...)

    I'll be thinking about you on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete