Sunday, March 15, 2009

It has been an interesting couple of days. So much for not following doctor’s orders. I know better than to eat macaroni and cheese. Even if it is the best in the world. I have enough trouble digesting fats as it is. But Friday night I had promised Becca I was going to make her favorite dinner, Macaroni and Cheese, and I had found a secret ingredient to make it even better than I ever made it before. And I wasn’t going to eat it myself because I knew it wouldn’t be a good idea. But the best laid plans… I had a serving and then some more to boot! Silly, silly me. But, honestly, it is the best Mac and Cheese you would ever want to eat. So I had been feeling worn out from the chemo on Thursday and Friday but nothing I couldn’t handle. Then Saturday morning it hit me. I went for a nice four mile walk with my marathon friends. It is the walk we have been doing for a couple of months now. Some of my friends come quite a distance to walk with me and I really, really appreciate it. But Saturday, after the walk, I felt a buzz that I usually feel after running 16 miles during a marathon. Not good. We still went out for tea and coffee afterwards but before I was done I felt wasted. Becca brought me home and my tummy started rebelling. Now, I don’t want to spoil anyone’s dinner so if you aren’t into detailed digestive descriptions please feel free to skip this paragraph. Let me begin by saying Chemotherapy just naturally turns digestive wastes into cement. Then add macaroni and cheese which is always hard for me to digest (but never stops me from eating it…until now). Neither Metamucil nor stool softeners could move this stuff through my system. And I was really, really uncomfortable, and really tired, and I couldn’t sleep. I kept drinking water hoping to soften something but nothing happened. So I was plain miserable all Saturday afternoon and night. Finally, this morning there was progress and by the afternoon I was feeling better. Still exhausted but the tummy issue was resolved. And I have learned my lesson. Salads, vegetables, fruits and lean meats, and smoothies will pass my lips. But I will not eat mac and cheese. It just isn’t worth it.
This evening, for dinner, I was feted with an Indian dinner from one of our local Indian restaurants. It was delicious. Thank you, Didi! We enjoyed every bite. And will tomorrow for lunch too.
Now I will retire for what I hope is a good night’s sleep. Heck, I will settle for somewhat restful. I’ve finished way too many books these last couple of days!

2 comments:

  1. It takes us 20 minutes on a Saturday morning to get to you; we're not concerned with the distance. If you want to shorten the walk this Saturday or just meet for tea, we are more than happy with either option. I'm sorry you had a rough couple days; get lots of rest this week, ok?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will if you will...I really want to do that 4 miles but we will see what the end of the week brings.

    ReplyDelete