Friday, June 5, 2009

Fun, adventure, disappointment

Last Saturday I had the best day ever! Bright and early I drove from Walnut Creek through San Francisco to Daly City and the Cow Palace. I arrived at the same moment my friend Annabel did. We were both headed to the Camp Store for the AIDS/LifeCycle event. We got to the Cow Palace about 8 a.m. and signed in at the volunteer booth where we were issued spiffy VOLUNTEER shirts. Then we wandered over to the store and met up with Allen with whom I walk and run. The store was set up for the people who would be heading out the next day for Los Angeles on their bicycles, riding in support of the San Francisco AIDS Foundation and the Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Center. AIDS/LifeCycle is co-produced by the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center and the San Francisco AIDS Foundation and is designed to advance their shared interest to end the pandemic and human suffering caused by AIDS. Saturday was the day for the riders and roadies to complete their registrations, view a safety video, get their tent assignments and check out the camp store. 545 miles of California roadways would pass beneath their bicycle tires between Sunday morning and the following Saturday where they would end their journey in the L.A. Coliseum. In the store where Annabel and I would be working (along with another dozen or so volunteers) they could purchase jackets, jerseys, socks, tee shirts and lots of cute tchotchkas. And there were premiums for those riders and roadies who had raised a significant amount of money. After familiarizing ourselves with the merchandise, learning how to use the credit card machine and getting a little training on other matters, the doors opened at 10 a.m. and the rush was on. It was a constant stream of riders and roadies without letup until about 2 o'clock. We did get a break for lunch but there was so much excitement in the air it was hard to stay away from the activity for more than a few minutes. The riders and roadies were so nice, so excited and so eager to be on their way. They had prepared for this adventure for months, the riders training and fundraising and the roadies just fundraising. All the roadie's work would along the route, setting up and tearing down the camps each day, putting up the showers, setting up the kitchens, cooking the meals and putting on a performance every night. And they also support the riders along each day's ride, making sure the riders don't get lost, keeping up their spirits and providing assistance with anything that might come up during the ride. I haven't done the LifeCycle or been a roadie but it is certainly inspiring to watch the videos on YouTube and read the blogs of some of the participants. It really makes one want to be a part of it. Well, I guess I was in my own small way, helping at the camp store, but someday, someday, I hope I can be a roadie or do the ride.

We left the store about 4 p.m., leaving the folks who would tear down the store and set up for the ride out the next day. It was a very satisfying experience and I am truly glad I could help.

Sunday I was pretty wiped out from the day before but when Monday came along I was ready for a new adventure. My friend Mary invited me to join her for a drive down to Big Sur. Her sister Ann lives in a lovely wooden home on a mountainside overlooking the coastline. We left home about 10:30 and after a false start (okay, I forgot my purse) we were on our way. Along the way we caught up with some of the AIDS LifeCycle riders and parted ways with them at the King City turnoff. Then we proceeded on to Carmel and had lunch at a charming Swiss cafe called Lugano. From there we drove along the coast to Ann's house were we chatted, I napped and we had delightful dinner and a nice long talk. I got to hear all about the fire last summer that devastated a lot of the Big Sur area and narrowly missed Ann's house. Ann also told us all about her adventures visiting her daughter and family in Africa. After a very comfortable night's slumber we had breakfast, and shared more stories. Then Mary and I headed back to Walnut Creek and Alamo. But not before we stopped at San Juan Bautisita for lunch and ice cream. I had a wonderful time. It was a great break from the quotidian stuff I've been experiencing lately.

Then the disappointment. After returning from Big Sur, I needed to go to Kaiser for my blood tests. I checked out the results online (Kaiser is very good about getting the results posted right away) and the numbers didn't look great but I didn't hear from my physician so I figured everything was okay. Then the next day, 5 minutes before I was to leave for my doctor's appointment and chemotherapy, I got a call from the clinical trials nurse. She told me that the numbers weren't good and I would have to postpone my chemo until the following week. Sigh. It was disappointing and a little frustrating. This puts off the finish of my treatment by a week. That postpones the beginning of my radiation. And that throws off the rest of my chemo light which was timed nicely so I could go to Honolulu in December. Now I'm not sure what will happen. But I'm not going to worry about it because if there is one thing I am learning through all this it is that you really can't count on anything. Things will happen, there will be twists in the path and detours in the journey. But I truly believe that it will all work out in the end.

7 comments:

  1. I completely understand your frustration, but everything will work out in the end, and its better you not make yourself sick now, right? I'm glad you had a good time in Big Sur.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mardie, what Kara said.

    love,
    kd

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Mardie---those capricious numbers! I'm sure next week you'll hit the mark and get back on track...Honolulu awaits afterall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know! And this throws the schedule off so I'm almost hoping that the numbers go wrong one more time so I can be back in sync. I have reservations already!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The LifeCycle people finished on Saturday. I can't wait to hear the stories. They are so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete