Sunday, June 7, 2009

My weekend continued

Saturday Andy and I drove out to Livermore to see about a new kitchen. Call us crazy. This may not be the best time to redo the laundry room and kitchen but if not now, when? The company we visited could put a plan together quickly and make the bid in a matter of moments. They had the cabinets and counter tops on display so it was fun choosing stuff. But after they printed out the plans and made the bid, Andy and I started dreaming a little bigger and now have completely different ideas for the kitchen. And the laundry room is almost out of the picture now. And now Leah has made a suggestion that we hadn't thought of for the laundry room and we may have to talk to Dennis about moving things around again. It is fun planning and playing around with ideas. We have talked about redoing the kitchen ever since we moved into this house in May, 1988. Every time we got close to doing something about it, something else came up. Bat Mitzvahs, medical bills, college tuition, condo down payments. But, it looks like this time we might do it. I am so excited.
After our journey to Livermore we drove into Berkeley to meet Steve's mom, Marci, who was visiting from Syracuse. We had a great hour or so at the Bateau Ivre chatting about this and that and getting to know one another. Then it was back to Walnut Creek and a rousing evening of Eureka. If you haven't watched this show I recommend it. Look it up on Netflix or watch it on the Science Fiction Channel. We love it!
Sonia, Steve and Marci attended a Bat Mitzvah at Beth El in Berkeley Saturday morning. This morning we were invited to the Bat Mitzvah's home for brunch before taking Sonia and Steve to the airport. We got to meet Steve's cousins and an Aunt and it was interesting and fun to learn more and more about Steve's extended family and friends. After dropping the happy couple off at the airport I attended a Chabad Women's Circle event, Spa for the Soul. The food was catered by our rabbi and the desserts were by Lynn, our resident chocolatier extraordinaire. If you haven't had one of her chocolate peanut butter balls, you haven't lived. The keynote speaker, Esther Hadassa Loewenthal, came all the way from New York to make her stimulating presentation which centered primarily on nutrition and health. She was joined by Betsy Shandalov, a local OT and yoga instructor and Catherina Vaucheret also a local, who is a personal fitness instructor. The panel discussion was lively and instructive. I think everyone who attended found something to which she could relate. My energy started flagging before the event ended so I came home early to find Andy busy planting in our garden. He has really put a lot of work into the garden this year. We have vegetables, new roses and lots of potted flowers growing all over the yard. The garden is really beginning to have a personality. And when the fountain is going, with the lavender scenting the air, it feels like nirvana.
Thank you to Carol and her daughter for bringing us a yummy Chinese dinner tonight. We are feeling so spoiled.
Now I am ready to drop. I am really trying to take it easy so my numbers will be just right this week. Now I think I will just go sit and rest.

2 comments:

  1. OK, I check and check and check and there are no updates, and then I forget one or two days and there are lots of lovely new posts to read!

    1. So glad you have been happily engaged in so many wonderful activities with your friends and family. I absolutely love Bateau Ivre don't you?

    2. I'm VERY excited about your kitchen (but then again how many other people have asked to tour your laundry room renovations...?)

    3. And, you've been holding out on those chocolate peanut butter balls and I'm trying to decide if that's right...I mean, I really thought we were friends...chocolate & peanut butter...really?

    4. I hope you are smiling...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am smiling, Robin! I'm chuckling too! I am going to commission some of those chocolate peanut butter balls and invite you over to savor them. Either that or you have to become Jewish and join Chabad. That is one of the perks of getting invited to Lynn's house for Shabbat dinner. And going to the women's events. Your choice.

    ReplyDelete