Thursday, June 18, 2009

Sweet, sweet, sweet

Last night, right in the middle of dinner, it hit me. I was enjoying a most lovely vegetable lasagna. I decided to taste the salad and it was a bag salad that I buy all the time. I love it. But the salad tasted really sweet. I was a little surprised because I never noticed how sweet it was, especially because I never put all the dressing on it. But, there it was. Someone had put sugar in it. So I went back to the lasagna and suddenly it was very sweet too. I asked Andy and Becca if they thought the salad and lasagna tasted really sweet. No, they both agreed they weren't sweet at all. And then it hit me. This is a side effect of the chemo. Now my mouth has a sweet, almost saccharin-like taste all the time. Regular stuff tastes sweet, sweet stuff it overbearingly sweet. I had tea with Jane this morning and all of the delicious muffins and fruits she had put out for me were just too sweet to eat. But they weren't. She isn't one to overdo the sugar. But even a bite of strawberry or cherry just made my mouth feel like sugar overload. Sigh. Now I feel like I have two very real side effects. My feet and hands are definitely victims of neuropathy and now my taste buds. I'm just hoping these are transitory conditions because they aren't fun.
Thank you to Jeff of La Farine in Oakland for the wonderful treats this morning. Thank you to Anne for the lasagna, salad, bread and flowers last night. Thank you Jane for the tea and goodies this morning. Thank you to the mysterious person who has tied a gauzy pink ribbon on our front gate. I'm not sure who it was. I have my suspicions. But I like it very much. And thank you everyone for all that you have done for us. You are the best!

3 comments:

  1. Mardie-is this because the other taste buds are gone, or does the chemo produce "super" sweet taste buds? Would youlike some fresh lemons to counteract the sweetness?
    J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeremy, you are right!
    Library friend, thanks but I have an abundance of lemons here, thank you! The rest of my taste buds seem in order, it seems just the sweet has become super sweet.

    ReplyDelete