Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Chemo and Kings

I got the news this morning from Dr. Liu. Although the numbers weren't perfect, they weren't far off so I will be in a chemo chair for 4 hours for the last time tomorrow. After that it will be a much shorter visit each time until March. I'm happy with that.
Today we drove into the city and saw the King Tut exhibition at the De Young Museum. Wow! It was wonderful. The exhibit was well presented and the the artifacts were so exquisite. For the first time I felt that the curators did something really smart. We rented the audio tour but I still like to real the tags on the artifacts. Usually you can see the tags only if you are up close and standing either right in front of it if it is posted below the artifact or to one side if you can walk to one side. The curators figured out that if you posted it on top and to the sides and underneath (and behind it if it was a display that you could walk all the way around) then more people could read the descriptions before they got up close and would spend less time blocking everyone else from getting a good view. I'm certain people spent less time directly in front and up close than at most exhibitions. The audio tour was delivered by Omar Shariff. What a great idea to have him doing it. If you can make the trip into the city, go see this exhibition. It is worth the effort and the cost.
I do have one complaint, though. Don't I always? But I can't blame it on anyone but myself. We got to the De Young around 11:35 and there was no parking within a mile of the museum. So we parked at a pretty distant spot, near a water fall and past a prayer garden. Way past the rose garden. Then I had to stand in line for the will call because of a mix up with our tickets. I will be happy to tell you that story but not today. Then we had to stand in line for the 12:30 ticket holders. Then we had to stand in line. They we had to stand and view a 90 second video and then we got to walk through the exhibit. My feet were killing me before we started the tour. Fortunately there were benches here and there to sit on throughout the exhibit. I'm now starting to realize how hard it is for Andy. I've always understood walking was a problem for him. Now I can empathize with him. Of course I don't have a balance problem so my foot disability isn't comparable to the his lack of toes and diminutive foot size. But when each step is something you are aware of, well, walking becomes less enjoyable. And I do love running and walking as you all know. But this isn't fun.
So, I'm going to go put my feet up now and rest a little. And then, tomorrow, maybe I'll just go do a little chemo.
And a double P.S.
1) Congratulations to Kara and Morgan on the birth of their son, Jasper, yesterday morning. He is a beautiful baby. We are so happy for you. (not a royal we, but a Fulop family we)
2) Leah, get well and out of the hospital soon. We are sending positive thoughts your way. (again, not a royal we, just a Fulop family we)

No comments:

Post a Comment