Friday, July 3, 2009

Celebrations

Wednesday morning I went in for my last "super chemo". The nurses knew it was my last one and everyone was congratulating me. As if it were something I had actually accomplished! I guess surviving that last chemo session in June was reason enough. But this time everything went very smoothly. I pretty much zonked out once the benadryl and compazine kicked in. I remember the nurse waking me up once in a while when she had to rescan my hospital bracelet each time she started a new drip but beyond that I don't remember much this time. Oh, I did talk to another patient that I saw last time. He has a great sense of humor. It seems some of his friends don't know how to deal with his cancer diagnosis so he is telling people he is getting chemo for hemorrhoids. They can handle that! We traded a couple of stories and agreed that humor is the only way to get through all this stuff. But his chemo was pretty much finished by the time I got my first dose so we didn't chat more than that. I also talked to a woman who came in without the standard wig or head covering. She was totally bald and had the prettiest "Peace" with red roses temporary tattoo on the back of her head. I am so tempted! She said her granddaughters help her choose the tattoos and put them on for her. Anyone want to help me?
So, the nurses assure me that the "chemo light" I will be getting from now until March will be much easier on my system. I won't have to take all the pills I do now before and after chemo, I won't have to do the neupogen and there will be only one drug, the herceptin, being administered and it will only take half an hour. Well, I'll probably be there for an hour but the infusion will only be half an hour. My neuropathy should go away and I should feel a lot better. Of course, they weren't taking into account that in a couple of weeks I'll be starting radiation. I might just feel lousy from that but we won't blame it on "chemo light".
Yesterday I went to visit Kara and Morgan and new baby Jasper. It was a delightful visit. Jasper is a perfectly beautiful baby. Everyone is doing fine. No one is sleeping but they are surviving!

3 comments:

  1. Yay for the end of chemo! And I'm thinking of getting a tattoo! Except that I found out I can't give blood for a long time after ...but it might be worth it...Donald knows exactly what I want and seems eager to do it!
    Maybe you, me and Rosie should all get scalp tattoos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean "you, Rosie, and I...etc"

    ReplyDelete