Monday, July 13, 2009

CAT Scan

Monday morning, bright and early, Andy and I headed out to the John Muir Cancer Center in Concord. In February I had met with Dr. Levine, my radiologist, to discuss my radiation treatment. Monday was my first appointment after super chemotherapy was finished.
I was led into a changing room where I donned the standard hospital gown. I waited in a little waiting room until a technician called my name. She took me to the CAT scan room. There she and an interning technician prepared me for the CAT scan and my body art....Well, not really art. But they marked my breast and lymph area with markers and then gave me three tiny tattoos so when I start radiation they always aim for the correct places. These tats are the size of a pinprick so it was even hard for me to figure out where they were afterwards. The CAT scan took just a couple of minutes. The tattooing took just a couple of seconds. Dr. Levine came in and told me that I can't actually start radiation for another couple of weeks. They want to make sure I'm okay from the chemo.
So now it won't begin until the first week of August. Sigh. This means I'll be in radiation when school starts. I'm hoping it won't keep me from going back to work. The people at the JMCC seemed very nice and were eager to make me comfortable and happy. Radiation will take place 5 days a week for 5 or 6 weeks. The procedure itself just a takes a minute or so. But I'm glad it is a nice place to visit.
I'm really looking forward to this next part of my adventure. So far, it hasn't been all that difficult. But I mustn't get ahead of myself here. I have a MUGA again and more lab tests. I must pass them first before I move on. It is always something, isn't it? I hope I get an 800 on each of them....tee hee!

2 comments:

  1. Button got a 900 on her CAT scan. But that is because she is a CAT.

    ReplyDelete