Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Chemo Light!

Today I had my first chemo light. I wasn't sure what to anticipate. It seemed like it was too good to be true. Just one drip? Just the herceptin? Can't be. There must be a catch. And yet, after seeing the doctor and having a few questions answered like can I really get rid of those awful pills that I have to take before chemo? (yes) and can anything be done about the neuropathy (yes), I strolled over to the chemo side of the offices and had the chemo. It was administered by a nurse I had before. A very pleasant lady who remembered having graham crackers with her milk in kindergarten, just like I remembered. Anyway. She put the saline line into the port and then the herceptin and little more than 45 minutes later I was off to Starbucks! Yippee skippy! I can do this with my eyes closed. Actually, like Pavlov's dog salivating at the sound of the bell, after she put in the IV, I started to nod off as I did with the super chemo. But there was no reason to do that. I didn't have benadryl or compasine to make me sleepy. But because I was used to feeling sleepy after the saline and other drips started, I dozed off. Silly me! The nicest part was being able to drive home and being able to do stuff afterwards, not like before when I was out for the day. And tomorrow I'm sure my digestive processes will be just fine. I think I am on the road to normal. Whoo hoo!

2 comments: