Sunday, June 7, 2009

Of a daughter's visit and a cherry tree

Wednesday brought more than just a cancelled appointment with chemo. But rather than bad news it was a happy occasion. Our daughter Sonia and her boyfriend Steve came into town for a bat mitzvah and visits to Stanford and UC. We enjoyed dinner with them at Bings on Thursday night. Even though it is a short visit we are very happy to see them.


This week I have been sending mental messages to my body encouraging the platelets and white blood cells to behave and get to their proper numbers. I'm hoping that will do the trick. But we will see what we will see.

Thank yous to my friends who have delighted us by bringing dinners this last week. Thank you to Carol for the delectable eggplant parmigiana and to Denise for the scrumptious falafel and dolma medley from Babalous! I can't tell you how much these meals mean to Andy and me. I also would be remiss if I didn't thank my young friends Keeson and Bailee for picking the cherries from my cherry tree this week. I was afraid that the jays, squirrels, and raccoons were going to be the only beneficiaries of the tree's bountiful crop this year. But fortunately for me, these two resourceful young people managed to climb the tree and harvest the cherries. The cherries are deep red, really plump, and full of flavor. We've been feasting on them since harvest day.

And so another week comes to an end. Next week is the last week of school. It feels strange not to be part of the last-minute scurry to get the inventory done. I sort of miss that adrenaline rush as I try to figure out where the last 50 books are that are missing from the inventory. No parents are frantically calling me to find out how much their children owe in lost-book fines. Well, Liz will take care of all that this year, and next year I will get my turn again.

No comments:

Post a Comment