Saturday, January 31, 2009

Doesn't Kitty Have a Nice Long Tail?

125 years ago, give or take a decade, there lived, in the northwest corner of Pennsylvania, a sweet young girl named Kathryn. She lived with her older sister and parents in a small village called Chapmanville and everyone in the village and in the surrounding countryside knew of the kindness and sweetness of this young lady. Her older sister, who shall remain nameless, for the sands of time have erased her name, was being courted by a well respected young man who lived in the neighboring village. He was a country doctor and had a horse and buggy. The horse's name was Kitty. One day, for reasons unclear to this storyteller, the suitor was commissioned to take Kathryn from her home to the village church. He had a sense of humor and was well aware of how sweet and kind Kathryn was. He decided to tease her and said a silly, unkind thing about Kathryn's sister. Kathryn, who was so well brought up that she would say neither anything against her sister, nor contradict the well thought of suitor replied, " my, doesn't Kitty have a nice, long tail?" referring to the horse and trying to change the subject. And so began a saying in my family. When we hear something we don't want to argue with and we wish to get out of the conversation all together we say, " My doesn't Kitty have a nice long tail" and the rule is at that point that the subject is closed and you go on to another topic. This works in my family because we know the rules. (And now you can close the blog if you do not wish to be assaulted by my righteous indignation).
Unfortunately, I can't say this to people who aren't in on the joke because they wouldn't get it. And I couldn't say it today because I took the coward's road and just got up from the table and stomped off. And my teachable moment is gone forever.
But I think I would like to say that it saddens me (and makes me angry) that on a day and in a place where and when things spiritual are supposed to transcend things of the real world, one overhears ugly racist words. And when one makes a simple request to the speaker to cease talking racist talk, racist number one is joined by others in denying they are. And they probably believe it.
But I was brought up to fight against such ugliness and I have perhaps been a little lax. I feel comfortable where I am and I sometimes let words go when I hear them because I just don't want to make waves. They are young, I think, and they will learn the error of their ways. Or, I think, they have had a terrible life and they will never learn so why make them even more unhappy by contradicting them. Or I think of a thousand and one other reasons not to respond and just try to be apart from who ever spews the venom. But today I begin the the first day of the rest of my life. I'm not going to let people feel comfortable making hateful remarks about anyone in front of me. And if that makes them uncomfortable, well, so be it.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you, Mardie. It takes a lot of courage to be willing to make people uncomfortable. But we already know you have that in heaps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for telling that story again...I'd heard he'd said rude things about someone's singing in church! Maybe it was great Aunt Kathryn's sister?

    ReplyDelete