Wednesday, January 28, 2009

12th posting

So, this time when I woke up there was no one talking about Athens. No talking at all that I remember. I don't think there was anyone in a cubicle nearby. I remember just kind of thinking that I should breathe deeply. I guess it was a combination of remembering the last words I heard and remembering that last time when I was in recovery I was breathing too shallowly and my oxygen alarm went off. So I was intent on good breathing. Always trying to be the best, even if it is just breathing...tee hee! So after a while a tried to turn my head to see the clock behind me and it was about 11 a.m. They must have used the proper amount of time apportioned to them for the procedure. The nurse, Luz, came up and asked how I was doing. I said I was fine and I guess she felt I was too because she asked if I was ready to go home. I was kind of surprised that she was that eager to get rid of me but I figured what the heck. If I feel okay, why not. Fortunately I had enough wits about me to ask about the drain which I had noticed was sitting next to me on the bed. Now, the first thing I thought when I saw it was that it was the same size and shape as the little plastic bottles we use to put energy gel in when we run marathons. Really, it did. The drainage was a kind of victorian rose pink. Really very pretty. But what to do with it. The nurse ran through the procedure and it was quite simple. Every eight hours I pour off the liquid into a little measuring cup, note the amount and throw it out. Wipe off the two connectors with a sterile wipe and attach the tube to the receptacle. Quite easy really. It can hold a little more than 100 ml so it isn't huge. I pin it to my shirt so it doesn't hang from the dressing. Very neat and tidy. Anyway. I got dressed, gathered up my stuff and got another wheelchair ride to the car. We stopped at a drivein Starbucks for a latte and then headed home.
My next appointment is with the surgeon on Thursday of next week. I'll find out what they found in the rest of the lymph nodes. And hopefully be disengaged from the drain. In the meanwhile I emailed my surgeon about stepping up the process a bit and getting my oncology appointment quickly so I'm not waiting around. He says he can do that so I am now waiting to hear from the appointments people. Hope they call soon.
I slept fairly well last night. Andy took care of the drain in the middle of the night. Unfortunately I have to bury the receptacle under the blanket because our cat, Emma Goldman, thinks it is a pretty cool toy. Sigh!
Not much pain today but I'm very aware of the dressing and the drain. Hoping to go for a walk this afternoon sometime if someone will go with me. I think I have someone to go with me. I'm just waiting for her to call. So, I once again must thank everyone for their emails, cards and calls. You are all the best. I'll add more later.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mardie Girl,

    I wish I was there, I would walk with you. It sounds like all went well this week--I am praying for good results. I will continue to watch your blog and to keep you in my thoughts. One day, we will take a long walk and talk about something else--like library software (I'm kidding you!). Take care my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connie, someday we will take a walk together and joke about how it took cancer to get Destiny in the WCSD libraries!!!!! I hear the ladies are trying to work magic and may succeed!

    ReplyDelete