Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Day 9

What a wonderful day this has been. Everyone is smiling. Everyone is happy. Jubilant even. Today was a day for the whole world to smile and say anything is possible. I went into a local falafel cafe for lunch. The guy behind the counter looked and sounded like he was probably middle eastern. He smiled at me. I was wearing my Obama shirt. Then he said, "I'm so happy, today". I smiled and said I was too. "It is so wonderful for us" he said. I agreed. Then he announced, "I'm half black, you know?" I smiled. I don't believe he would have confided that to me last week. And I wanted to answer, "well, Obama is half white and so am I!" but I decided to let him have his moment....
I asked my Breast Care Coordinator some questions last week and got the answers early this morning. When my surgery is over they will schedule me to see an oncologist who will follow me for the rest of my treatment. He/she will suggest the next step, probably radiation and/or chemo. I can choose treatment either at the John Muir Cancer Care Center in Concord or the East Bay Regional Cancer Center in Hayward. That should be a no brainer unless there is something I don't know. I know someone who was treated at JM when it was called Mt. Diablo about 17 years ago and she is still alive and kicking so I think that is what I will choose. But that won't start for 3 or 4 weeks after my surgery. Gives me time to recover and heal.
In the meantime, I am alternating between resting, walking and then overdoing it. I keep thinking I have more energy than I do have. My friend the nurse says that I am still getting over the anesthesia and surgery. I will believe her. So today surgery is just a week away unless something changes. I guess it isn't that long to wait.
That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment