Thursday, April 30, 2009

Cancer Goddess

Honestly, I thought my "Crazy, Sexy, Cancer Goddess" tee shirt was pretty straight forward. All right, there was that man at the Cheesecake Factory who didn't get it. But he truly didn't get it so he asked what it meant. And I told him it meant that I have cancer but I'm still cool. And then he got it.


But today made me laugh. Sonia and I had a very productive day at the optometrist and the jewelry store (my watch needed its calendar reset, no jewelry purchases were made). As we were at Broadway Plaza we decided to have lunch at Nordstrom. Up we went to the 3rd floor cafe. We chose our meals, ordered at the counter and then found ourselves a nice table. The server, Sarah, came over to pick up our receipt so she would know what to bring us. And then it happened. She could see my shirt said something but she didn't know what. So she asked me what it said. I opened up my sweater a little wider displaying the text. She smiled a big smile and said in a very animated voice, "oh, I love it" Then she turned to another server and said, "Michelle, look at this tee shirt. She is a Cancer too!" Sonia looked horrified and I gave her The Look. Don't say anything it said. I smiled and we all enjoyed the moment. After they stepped away we tried to decide if there was anything we could have done to right the misunderstanding. And we decided our only course was to stay silent. But then I needed to powder my nose and I left Sonia behind. While I was gone Sarah returned and wanted to know what my exact birthday was. Poor Sonia, she had no idea what month a Cancer is so she told the young woman the truth. And Sarah was mortified. Sonia told her not to give it a second thought but I felt so sorry for her. She kind of stayed away for a while but we did get our meal, it was tasty and she did ultimately talk to us again, although no signs of the Zodiac were mentioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment