Sunday, April 26, 2009

Picnic Time

Forgive me. It has been over a week since I posted the last blog. It was pure indolence on my part. And this makes me think that I could never become a "real" writer. I have no self discipline. Sigh! But I have been busy, in a not so busy kind of way.



Before I go into that, though, I need to talk about the young people of today.....Or at least the young people on my cul de sac. As I have mentioned before, there is a group of people, friends in the neighborhood and at school, who have kindly offered to provide Andy and me with dinner twice a week, on Sundays and Wednesdays. I am very, very grateful to everyone who has brought over these meals. Last Sunday, however, I was overwhelmed by a bountiful feast provided by my young neighbors. They came over, Keeson and Bailee, Nick and Livi, Kathleen and their parents, with balloons and picnic baskets filled to overflowing with goodies too numerous to list (Maddie also contributed but couldn't make the presentation). Okay, I'm not going to list each individual item but I will mention a couple of the outstanding delectations made by these young people. Homemade vegetable sushi and a homemade challah were among the items we found in the baskets. And ravioli, bruscetta spread with a baguette, fresh fruit and much, much more. It was just too delightful. My impression was that this was done, not because the parents thought their offspring should do it, but because the kids wanted to. They each gave something that was their favorite and happily, they were my favorites too! They were gracious givers and very sweet. My friend Stan (former k-12 principal) had decided to drop by (with a chocolate obsession cake, flowers and a bottle of wine) so he was able to enjoy the production too. We all really appreciated what these kids had put together. I would like to think that these young people are just a representation of what most kids are like today. And maybe they are. But they obviously emulate what they see at home. Some of these children I have seen in other settings and they are always kind, considerate and respectful. These are just plain good kids. You can imagine how much I love my neighborhood and my neighbors. Thank you, thank you, all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment