Sunday, April 12, 2009

Yesterday, I decided to walk to shul. I had already gone for a lovely 4.5 mile walk with my friend Iris. We had such a great time and such good conversation. I've been walking/running with Iris since 2001. We both started running when we signed on with the AIDS Marathon and we haven't stopped since! Anyway, after I walked with Iris I came home and showered, read the paper and then got ready to go to shul. Since I had already gone for my walk I figured I would drive. Then I decided maybe I would take a look outside to see if any one of my neighbors was about to drive off and maybe hitch a ride with them. I didn't see anything promising but I decided to see what would happen. This became a game in my mind. I would walk and if I was offered a ride I could accept but if no offer was made, I couldn't beg. So off I started. I decided to carry my phone just in case I didn't find a ride and ran out of steam. It is a good 3 miles to my synagogue and since I had already had a better than four mile walk, I wasn't sure I could do the extra miles. But I knew I could find someone to take me if I needed it. So off I went. I stopped to talk to a neighbor about homeowner's association problems. He also is a marathoner and did the Honolulu last year. But no offer was made. The way I was dressed he thought I was off on a casual walk around the neighborhood. Then I continued on my way. About a half mile from my home a car stopped and a library friend called out to me. She asked if I was walking to shul so she didn't offer a ride (we're supposed to walk to shul, not drive) which was kind of her. And the rule of the game is that someone has to offer a ride and not know that you would take a ride if offered but you wouldn't ask for a ride (unless you were entirely pooped).

Half way down Rudgear I started my thinking. I realized that I do my best thinking when I am on a good long run (or walk) by myself. I guess that is when the endorphins and other things kick in and the dust and rust fall out of the cogwheels of the brain. I remember thinking about how stale and uninteresting my blog has been lately. I haven't been out on the trails running and or walking so I haven't been thinking. Okay, sometimes interesting things happen that are worth writing about that don't involve running, but lately that hasn't been the case. By now I had just about reached the Broadway extension. And I was feeling pretty good. I was thinking how grateful I was that I had decided to wear just a sweater and had left the coat behind. Crossing Rudgear I noticed a woman ahead of me, power walking along the trail. I was conscious of the fact that I had started out rather slowly because I was so afraid I was going to run out of energy. But watching her made me think about when I might try to start running again. Then I thought to myself,

"Self", I said, " you no longer feel like there are loose rocks where you had the lumpectomy, do you?"

" No, "I answered, "I can't say that it feels like that anymore".

"Okay," I said to myself, "So, what if you were to just run for one minute right now and see how it felt. No one is watching you and if it doesn't feel right, then you can stop"

"Hmmmm, " I think. "But I'm wearing my SAS walking shoes and a long skirt. "Yes. "I reply" "But you have actually done that before. And those SAS shoes have a running shoe sole, remember? And last year, just about this time you tried running for the first time in months and it was right here, on this trail, in this skirt. Give it a go! See how it feels."

So to make a long story short I ran. For a minute. Then walked for a minute, then ran for a minute and I kept on doing it all the way to shul which is at least a good mile and a quarter. And so, dear friends, I think that this go around with the chemo has been pretty successful.

I must credit the Neupogen for keeping me strong this time. But, as Andy just pointed out to me yesterday, the price is not cheap. Those seven injections, if I hadn't belonged to Kaiser, could have cost me $1570! Kaiser always shows you what you would have paid if you didn't have the coverage you have. We pay $20 for brand name prescriptions, $10 for generic. And as a friend at shul pointed out, that really is cheap for such a miracle/wonder drug. Still, I am grateful I have Kaiser and that I can get my drugs so cheaply and easily. And I am glad I don't have to choose between paying my grocery bill and getting the prescriptions I need!

2 comments:

  1. Wow Mardie, you are feeling a lot better than last time!!!! I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Mardie, I'm so happy to hear that! I'm glad this go round is better than last time, and so glad you ran some. And glad that you have Kaiser (but hoping that some day no one will have to choose between groceries and medicine...).

    ReplyDelete