Monday, April 27, 2009

My appreciation for the nursing profession grows

Well, I thought I was really on a roll. I can do my own injections. I am all powerful. It isn't rocket science. Wait, maybe it is. Rocket Science. Maybe it does take a special talent, a certain knack. Maybe there is a reason I was always the last person picked for the softball team. Hmmmm....


My Morning.


I rolled out of bed a little later than usual this morning. I also went to bed a little late last night. I was trying to finish a book and Sonia was working so hard on her project I felt like I'd like to stay up with her if I could. But I didn't. Still, I got a good night's sleep. But when I woke up it was about the time I usually have my injection. So I skipped downstairs, pulled a vial from the refrigerator and carefully laid out my equipment. Now, I want to say at this point that I wasn't hurrying, I wasn't nervous and I had the instructions in front of me the whole time. I always just read the instructions as I go along because I know how easy it is, once you are comfortable doing something, to inadvertently skip a step. So, I began by preparing the needle. And I bent it. Sigh! I put it in my sharps container and got out a new one. Very carefully now I continued by pulling the Neupogen into the needle. Oops, a little bit of air and not all the medication. Re inject into vial (no, I hadn't pulled the needle out of the vial yet) and then carefully, carefully I pull the plunger out and suck the meds in....and I pull the plunger out too far and some of the Neupogen drips onto my work surface. Yikes. This is expensive stuff! I can't just go down and ask for a new vial. Oh, my gosh, what have I done? Well, I try to remain calm. No, I do remain calm and continue with the routine. I realize that little drips look like a lot of liquid and there is just about the right amount in the needle. So I continue and inject myself. No pain. No fainting. No more of this. I'm going back to my professional staff. I need at least one more set of hands to work with that needle. I thought I would grow proficient with practice but apparently this is not the case. Sigh.

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like you got your dose in you, right? Its all good. I've had to inject myself a couple times, and it is daunting. No fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mardie
    Was it okay to laugh at your blog? I hope so...We used to have to give our dog allergy shots (also expensive, but not quite as compelling). The first time I tried it, I prepped the syringe, braced myself and tried to inject the dog. I managed to squirt the stuff all over her back. I then left the job to others....btw...I, too was the last picked for any type of sports team!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope when I write funny things you are laughing! And really, a lot of funny things happen to me. Laughter is the best medicine. I know Reader's Digest says so, but my uncle the doctor said so too. Said he would never accept a patient if that person didn't have a sense of humor. So I just keep laughing......

    ReplyDelete