Thursday, February 26, 2009

Good news! My bone scan "does not show any evidence of metastasis"! That is welcome news. Of course with the good news there always has to follow some bad. But this isn't earthshaking bad, just annoying bad. My urinalysis shows I have a bladder infection. The oncologist asked her nurse to call me and ask if I had any symptoms. No, I said and I would know if I did because I have had a couple of bladder infections in the last couple of years. She kept asking did I feel this, did I feel that and I had to answer no to all. She said they were going to rerun the analysis just to make sure. And then we said goodbye. Of course, she was talking to Mardie Fulop, Ms. Suggestible of the Millennium. You name the symptom and she will feel it within minutes. No matter that I had just drunk a bottle of water less than half an hour ago and was now working on a Zen Green Tea. I must be exhibiting symptoms. I have to go to the bathroom. So I try to talk myself down from my delusion and sure enough the "frequent urge" to urinate passes. Andy picks me up from Starbucks and I come home to many cards, The Lord of the Rings on CD, and "Cancer Sucks" socks and a pink kerchief from Olga! But first I must email my doctor and tell her that I am a bit of a hypochondriac and if she describes it, I will get it. I do come by this malady with the right credentials. My mother was a great hypochondriac. She was always thinking she had lung cancer, all through my childhood. Of course, she was a heavy smoker and she eventually did get lung cancer so she could probably be called more of a great anticipator than a hypochondriac. Me, I kind of try to resist the urge to hypochondriate (could that be a word? I like it!) but because I am so suggestable it is hard. But I am also my best talker downer of suggestion. I can sit and say to myself. Okay, Mardie, let's just take this one step at a time. You have a little sore spot on your finger. You do like to chew your cuticles. Is it possible that this sore is self inflicted and not the first sign of leprosy? And you know, I often convince myself that I am not coming down with this, that and the other. So I will wait for the email from the doctor and in the meantime feel absolutely no symptoms...Yayyy, me!

2 comments:

  1. Yay, yay, the universe is beginning to cooperate! Oh, except for the bladder infection. But you probably don't have one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it is about 4 hours later and I am feeling fine. Except for my throat and lungs which are feeling strange. But that could be leftover from the surgery....I still think they stuck something down my throat.

    ReplyDelete