Tuesday, February 10, 2009

My goodness gracious! Today I had my Chemotherapy Class. All you wanted to know about Chemo but were afraid to ask. Or didn't have the time, or didn't have a clue. There were about 20 of us with different types of cancer in the small conference room. All of us were about to start Chemo. Some were starting tomorrow. I can't imagine being that close to the beginning of this therapy and not having this information already. The presenter was a Kaiser nurse who has been the caregiver for three family members with cancer and who also more recently went through breast cancer herself. So she has seen this journey as professional, as a family member taking care of a patient and as a patient herself. She assured us that the Kaiser Cancer Center is the premier cancer center in California. They regularly consult with Stanford and UCSF. The number of doctors, RNs and associated staff is huge. She really had a good sense of humor and definitely knew her stuff. She went through a power point presentation that included everything from Kaiser's Oncology Team mission statement to introducing all the members of oncology treatment team. She explained chemo room policies like not wearing perfumes, bringing in cold foods (hot foods tend to send their aromas out which can nauseate patients) to not bringing in children at all (they are walking infection spreaders). From the policy on using cell phones or computers during chemo (it is okay) to explaining treatment cycles and communication with the health care team...and so on and so forth. The big downer was when the dietician came in and told us about eating well to help keep us healthy through chemotherapy. She says I can't eat sushi (uncooked fish and meat are no-nos). Yikes! How will I live without sushi? Interestingly, the whole presentation lasted two hours but the time just flew by.
I'm even more curious now as to how my body will react to all these chemicals. The RN explained a lot of the side effects but then assured us that most of them can be managed and we shouldn't try to just live with them. They have something for everything. We just need to let the oncology team know.
Tomorrow I go in for the bone scan. There is nothing special for me to do to prepare for it. But the following morning I go in for the CT scan. I have two quarts of banana smoothie tasting liquid I have to drink before I go in. One I drink two hours beforehand and one I drink one hour beforehand. I also have to fast 4 hours before it. She asked me how I handle fasting. I laughed and told her I am Jewish. We know how to fast. She laughed too. Then that afternoon I go in to Concord to meet my radiation therapy doctor. His name is Michael Levine. I did the intake over the phone so there shouldn't be any paperwork when I get there. I hope. I do have to take a list of all my medications, prescription and non prescription. Must make that list right now. It is all non prescription. I wonder if they will tell me to stop taking some of the supplements. I only take them because doctors have suggested them but maybe I shouldn't be taking them now.
What I liked about the presentation today is the upbeat attitude of the RN. She was positive without bravado. She has been through this and knows exactly what people are feeling. I didn't see any weepy people there but there were some who looked kind of fragile. I feel for them.
I asked about wigs. People are telling me I should get one, just in case. So I've been looking online and there are some really attractive ones in all price ranges. But when I asked the RN about wigs she told me that the Women's Health Center and the American Cancer Society give away wigs for free! I am really happy to hear that. Not for me but for someone who can't afford to buy one. I think I would be devastated if I knew I was going bald and couldn't afford to have something looking like hair on my head. As it is, I have a feeling I will wear cute head coverings and maybe the wig sometimes. I could wear it at a rakish angle.......No, I promise I won't! tee hee
Meanwhile, there is half a ton of paperwork to read. Some of it looks a little redundant but better over informed than underinformed. I guess the thing that is so surprising for me right now is the number of appointments I have to keep track of and I haven't even started treatment yet. I am abandoning my Treo as a calendar and using a standard paper on instead. It is easier for me to put down all the information on paper than on the Treo. I'll use the Treo as a backup. One giant step backwards in my use of technology. Don't tell Andy!

5 comments:

  1. Hmmm....wig at a rakish angle...don't give me ideas...

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as you can attach your flower to your cute head coverings...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems to me that you are making a tremendous technological step forward as you pick up the lingo of the medical~cancer world. You are going to know CAT scans from kitty kats; chemo from Kimo (James in Hawaiian) and what a great idea to have a big calendar. Imagine the fun of crossing off each day as it comes and goes?

    In my photo is my caring shawl behind me. I hold you wrapped in my heart and thoughts each day. love Helen (Mary's next older)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I am crossing each adventure off the calendar as it happens. I'll just cross the days as they pass too. Good idea. Thank you for the kind thoughts and for that space in your heart. I appreciate it, Helen.
    Kara, I hadn't thought about my flowers in the wig. I must remember to find a wig with a style that works with a flower!
    Kathy, work with me on this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going shopping and will do some exploring.

    ReplyDelete