Sunday, February 22, 2009

Sigh, you think you are going to write about one thing but what comes out of the fingers is something else. I should be writing about my heart scan which I guess went well. I do apparently have a heart and the technician didn't faint when she looked at the pictures so I guess everything looked fairly normal. I'll find out on Monday.
But I'm not going to write about the EKG or the blood draw or the scanning machine. Today I will write about a parent's worst nightmare.
A dear dear friend of ours called last night to say that her 21 year old daughter died the day before. She had retired for the night and the next morning she was dead on the couch in her room. Right now they have no idea what happened. We visited them this afternoon and I have never been in a sadder situation in my life. Our friend spoke of her daughter. Then there was silence and then she spoke. Of her memories, of her regrets, of special moments. I was glad we were there but it was so utterly tragic. They have lost both their daughters. Their first daughter died in infancy. She was born with a heart defect and although she lived for a year I don't believe they ever even brought her home. It was, without a doubt, a very hard time for them. But they managed to pick up the pieces of their life. They adopted a beautiful little girl and they raised her and loved her. And now she, too, is gone. To say life is unfair is to trivialize the situation. My heart is so heavy. I really can't say more right now.

1 comment: