Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Radiation

While I have gone over the routine of the radiation therapy, I don't think I have talked about the really nice people over at the cancer center at John Muir in Concord. I just want to mention this because I see them every day and routine is just that. Routine. They always thank me for my patience and I always express my gratitude for their being there. And we never miss an opportunity to joke with one another. The seriousness of their task demands a bit of levity from time to time and I enjoy it. As they draw on the spot that is to receive the radiation they talk about their frustrated creative energies. As they leave the room to start the treatment I tell them to go on out but I'll just stay there. They are just short silly comments but we enjoy the repartee. And then there is the guy I see every day who has his treatment just before me. We always smile, nod and sometimes we make smart remarks. I don't even know his name but I feel like we are treatment friends. I'm two weeks into the treatments and what I feared hasn't happened yet. I'm not tired of this. I look forward to it. It gives me comfort knowing that the battle is still being waged on my behalf. Only three more weeks and all I'll have to look forward to are my chemo light treatments every 21 days. I guess I shouldn't complain. That is the goal after all. Wellness and no treatments. I think I have become accustomed to this little cocoon of cancer therapy. I like people fussing over me and making me feel comfortable. Once I'm over the radiation I'll be pretty much back in the real world. Chemo light is like getting a prolonged backwards blood test. Not much to it and you aren't there long enough to really talk to anyone. But I won't complain. I'm hoping it will mean I can get back to the things I really love doing. Like running. And Mardie's Walnut Creek Marathon is coming up soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment