Monday, March 16, 2020

It is only one day since my last post and oh my, the changes it has brought. This morning our governor threatened to close restaurants and bars but then stepped back and said there would be no closings. Then the chefs and restaurant industry raised a collective shout out and she decided that  only take out and delivery would be allowed. No gatherings of more than 25 people. That means almost everywhere except grocery stores, retail stores, and what else? Kaiser has notified us that most regular appointments will be dealt with online or by phone. Elective surgery is out the door. Rebecca informs us that her YMCA is closed. She goes there several times a week for various classes. Sonia is at home because she has been sick but now her office is closed down and all work is to be done at home. Seven Bay Area counties in California are under a modified curfew. No one is supposed to leave their homes except to get food or medical help or to work if they have a job to go to. I expect that will be happening here too if our governor has any sense.
Rosie and I delivered Meals on Wheels this morning. When I walked into the lounge where all the seniors normally gather for TV and bingo, it was completely empty. Usually there are a good 50 or so elders and disabled chatting or dozing. And this morning but there are new protocols for the deliveries. No hand to hand contact. We put the meals in a plastic bag and leave it on a door knob. Two days worth of meals for each client. No nice fresh salads or dessert. Just a main dish, a cooked vegetable, an apple and a carton of milk. Most of the clients are totally onboard. They get it that it is them we are protecting and while it was alway nice to give a friendly hug or squeeze of the hand to some of our clients, they understand it won’t happen. We have to keep a 6 foot distance between them and us. We had a handout that explained it all and some of them had been contacted by phone and already knew. But we were supposed to explain in person as well. Funny how one’s Spanish gets better and better when you really, truly need to use it. Only one client thought it was a stupid plan. I gave my best shot at explaining why two days of meals in one delivery made her safer from exposure but she wasn’t buying it. Oh well.
I did go for my walk today. I drove to the mall but walked around outside. Didn’t go in. Didn’t see anyone outside except from afar. I have no idea if any of the regulars were there or not. There was a huge number of plumbing trucks parked where the regulars park and it appeared that there was some kind of big plumbing issue going on. They had a very noisy pump going right next to the security office. If I had gone inside and if the regulars were there I would have gotten an idea of what was happening but I didn’t go in.
After my walk and meals on wheels I returned home and we spent the rest of the day watching Buffy and Angel, eating and reading and catching up on the latest COVID news. Things change from hour to hour. We got a notice that Canadian ports will be closed to cruise ships until July 1st. I sent Rebecca a text of condolence since she runs and walks along the sea wall by the cruise ship terminal in Vancouver almost every day and looks forward to seeing the ships from the various cruise lines during the cruising season. Then Andy pointed out to me that our cruise in May and June was supposed to stop in St. John’s, Newfoundland. So much for that. Of course the whole cruise may be off anyway so it may be a moot point.
It is evening now. I have served Andy the last of the corned beef and cabbage for dinner. We started celebrating St. Patricks Day a little early. I had a meal from the freezer. I think we can survive on what we have in the pantry and the fridge for maybe two or three weeks. But I do need to go to the store to see if I can get some fresh fruit and vegetables. And we still don’t have any hand sanitizer. Which I would happily make myself if the ingredients were available. I’ll look. Don’t have much hope. I’ll go either very late tonight or very early tomorrow morning.
Can’t wait (dreading may be a better word) to see what new developments tomorrow brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment