Sunday, March 29, 2020

First written on 3-13
I went for a long walk yesterday. Discovered some new trails near my house. Well, they aren’t really new but they are new to me. They meander along little brooks. There are a lot of them around here. So refreshing. It looks like there might be beavers around here too. But I haven’t seen any. Just the dams they have built. 
There were a lot of people walking and running on the trails and sidewalks. Some were solo but some were in groups. And then when I passed through a park there were little kids, some toddlers, more than a dozen of them, playing on the playing ground equipment. Their parents, grandparents and caregivers seemingly oblivious to the virus. What is it about people? Are they in denial? Are they thinking it just won’t effect them? I don’t get it. I gave them a wide berth and continued on my way.
This morning Andy and I got up early to get to Fred Meyer when it opened. We arrived 10 minutes early but it became apparent that something was not right. A woman walked up to the locked doors and diverted her attention to a little sign tacked up on the Starbucks sandwich board and then threw up her arms and walked back to her car. I jumped out of our car and read the sign. In order to have the shelves stocked they are opening an hour later than normal. Darn. So we drove over to Safeway. We managed to miss picking up toilet paper, canned goods, flour, cake mix and liverwurst but there were lots of fresh vegetables and fruits. 
It is hard to stay off the iPad. I keep wanting to see if there is anything new to report. So much rehashing of posts from the day before. 
Rebecca thinks it would be better for her to stay in Canada. She thinks, 1- she can’t get out and 2- she doesn’t want to risk infecting us. I get it but I would rather she come home. 3- she has health insurance in Canada, not here in the U.S. After tomorrow they are sending the library workers home. Fortunately the Librarian has a project she can work on from home so she can keep being paid. She walked 11K this morning, all the way from downtown Vancouver to UBC. She wanted to avoid the bus and she wanted to get in her steps. I think they are ending bus service after this week. Things seem to be pretty severe there. She is having a hard time finding stuff on the store shelves. 
Sonia has us signed up on Marco Polo. I don’t really get it. You can form groups and send video messages. Not sure why you need the app to do it. Maybe the quality is better than regular video. And there are editing opportunities. We’ve sent a few videos but nothing too exciting.
This morning the first WW workshops went online. At the 9:30 workshop I couldn’t figure out how to use Zoom so I missed most of the workshop. But I didn’t give up. Attended another one at noon and figured it out. Very exciting to be able to do it but it lacks something that happens when you are really in the same room as other people. There were a lot of silences. But my coach Kathy and the noon coach tried very hard and I am sure the next meetings will go more smoothly.

No comments:

Post a Comment